Last week we had a presentation from Sophia Palachicky about Web Based Courses in Manitoba. I was not familiar with this process due to the fact that I have never taken an online course or been involved in teaching a web based course. I was amazed at how accessible these courses are to teachers. This is an excellent resource to teachers as they provide an entire unit for their use. I think that this resources is more useful in senior years than middle or early years. Students are unable to self-motivate at this age so therefore I would not use web based courses for this age group. I can see this being useful for senior years students who are able to self-motivate and do not have an opportunity to take a course due to the inability to offer a specific course at their school.
Do I think that my students should sit in front a computer and teach themselves. I don't think I am convinced!
I honestly struggle with the idea of web based course delivery as an alternative to classroom learning. This form of learning does not coexist with some things that I firmly believe in such as: collaboration in the classroom (this in turn helps students to develop social skills), different learning styles, student and teacher collaboration.
No comments:
Post a Comment