Your digital footprint is your online identity. I think that digital identity and digital citizenship go hand in hand. Although the internet is an excellent resource our students need to be aware that there may be consequences to what they put online.
I have put a lot of thought into this especially due to my career choice. Teachers rightly, are supposed to be role models for their students. I do not want future employers to see a picture of me during my early university adventures! I want my employers to see me as a mature, qualified, eager individual. This is why I have a blog, twitter, website, about me page ect. I want to be perceived as a professional on and offline.
Are we different online than we are offline,some people are. I think the real question is: should we be different online than we are offline? My answer is no! I think that we should be perceived as the professional we are online and offline.
It is extremely important to inform students of the consequences of a digital footprint. Students need to be aware that what we put online can be seen by the world. Students need to ask themselves... do I want the world to read this tweet or see this photo? Will this picture, comment, ect change the way people perceive me?
I would incorporate this conversation into my digital citizenship discussion. There are a bunch of great lesson ideas on the website: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/videos/lesson-in-action-private-today-public-tomorrow
I have put a lot of thought into this especially due to my career choice. Teachers rightly, are supposed to be role models for their students. I do not want future employers to see a picture of me during my early university adventures! I want my employers to see me as a mature, qualified, eager individual. This is why I have a blog, twitter, website, about me page ect. I want to be perceived as a professional on and offline.
Are we different online than we are offline,some people are. I think the real question is: should we be different online than we are offline? My answer is no! I think that we should be perceived as the professional we are online and offline.
It is extremely important to inform students of the consequences of a digital footprint. Students need to be aware that what we put online can be seen by the world. Students need to ask themselves... do I want the world to read this tweet or see this photo? Will this picture, comment, ect change the way people perceive me?
I would incorporate this conversation into my digital citizenship discussion. There are a bunch of great lesson ideas on the website: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/videos/lesson-in-action-private-today-public-tomorrow
No comments:
Post a Comment